Saturday, August 28, 2010

Happy Birthday dude


This year 1st of Ramadhan was on 11th of August. Luq's birthday was on the 9th. Yes, my boy is no longer a boy. During one of my frequent sleepless nights, I wrote him a note.

Being 13 means……

You are no longer a boy...

You have more freedom…but with freedom come responsibility…the more responsible you are, the more freedom you will have.

You are more emo & sometimes illogical…no offence but it’s scientifically true….it’ s the massive rewiring in your frontal lobe (your thinking cap) which let’s the amygdala (your emo brain) take over your decision making that makes you make not so smart decisions sometime….so don’t be so hard on yourself…but it’s the more reason you need to istighfar more…need to cut down those cursing and swearing and snapping at your sistas…. and let Allah guides you not to stray

You are at the crossroads, searching for your identity, your personal brand …that explains the sudden obsession with your look, your dressing, ….and I pray you will brand yourself rightly as a proud Muslim

Girls suddenly become more interesting….and the testosterones are raging….so be very cautious of the little little step towards zina….to err is human…but you can prevent it…Allah has given you guidance….no touching, no kissing, no being alone with girl…oppps…sorry can’t help it…;-)

You need your beauty sleep more than ever to be productive during the day… …the more thinking you do…the more sleep you will need. ….so work on that insomnia thingy

You wish you are 30. Believe me…when you are 30, you will wish you are 13. Life is much simpler when you are 13. So have a blast at 13…enjoy the moment…


We want you to know that we are very proud of …

You as the big brother…your sistas loves you dearly…(though they swear they will kill u when u r around) they miss u like crap when u r not around

What you have achieved so far…though we…..like most of your teachers….DO think you can do soooo much much more if you work on that “effort” thingy

How much you have progressed with your guitar… chase your dream…practise hard…make beautiful music and spread the words….I pray you will make a difference in this world with your music…just like Cat Steven & Maher Zain

You as a filial son…me especially (since abah is soo slacking in this department) …the sandwich u make when I was sick, the bear hug I got when I cook nice food, those small chat on how’s your day…keep it coming dear son....ngeh ngeh ngeh

You as a caring human being…despite your constant attempts to mask it with your “machoness” …we know…coz this is the boy who got so emo watching ugly little duckling when he was 2yo….it’s not NOT COOL to be caring dowhhhhh!!

How grounded you are….SO FAR ;-) But seriously…my heart swells with pride when you don’t care about branded stuffs, and you don’t follow the crowd…and you are very sure of yourself….of who you want to be….I wish I was that sure of myself when I was 13…must be all those brainwashing lecture huh???

That you are a voracious reader…and a great thinker…(when you want to be)….sometime too wise wayyy beyond your years…and a very creative soul.. ….those great doodles and sketches…do something serious about them please…

I pray….

You will live up to your great name…do good and be good just like the great Rasulullah Muhammad al Mustafa, be wise like Luqman al Hakim….make the world good like the great Avicenna…chase all your dreams…the sky is your limit…if it’s to be, it’s up to you…we love you….

Happy Birthday dude ;-)



Think he get it, but me the sender is more emo than him the receiver..which is so predictable and typical.....his ONLY reaction; "Thanks ummi, very touching but sounds more like a lecture...."

WT%%$#??

Anyway, I may need to print this..BIG.. and paste it on his wall since the amygdala hijack is becoming more frequent now, and it's driving me nutssss ;-P

I have been scouring books and website on how to manage teenagers. My main problem with Luq is his lack of motivation to do about everything, which is probably quite common with boys...anyway nobody says parenting is easy right? Praying for God's guidance in this holy month...give me strength and show me the way....

1 comment:

  1. I'm so touching when reading all these... you are great mummy!! INDEED!!

    ReplyDelete