Friday, August 12, 2011

The young Avicenna turn 14.

My dearest Luqman turned 14 on Tuesday. I first came across the name Avicenna in an old MCKK annual magazine many2 years back while killing my boredom flipping through my brother's old school magazines. Yes, budak koleq memang ada banyak fancy2 name ;) 

And for some reason the name stucked in my mind. And when I was pregnant with my first child, that was the first name that come to my mind. Mr O thought the name is too fancy, and we need to "malaynize" the name a bit......hence the addition of Luqman coz that was my favourite surah when I was pregnant. Then my dad insisted his first grandson carry the name of the great Rasulullah. So that is how the young man end up with quite a long name, Muhammad Luqman Avicenna.

Until today, people still ask him, and me... who is Avicenna. And some pronounced it Avi-"cina". And the fact that he look a bit Chinese makes it more comical. Avicenna is the Latin name of Ibn Sina.
  
George Sarton called Ibn Sina “the most famous scientist of Islam" and one of the most famous of all races, places, and times.”  He is considered by many to be “the father of modern medicine.”  
 
His students called him "leader among the wise men". Due to his immense contribution in geology, he is also considered to be the father of geology. He is regarded as the most famous and influential polymath of Islamic Golden Age. A nice recollection of his early life and how he became a polymath can be read from here
 
Other famous polymath include Phytagoras, Archimedes, Al-Khawarizmi, Al-Ghazali, Newton, Galileo, Leonardo da Vinci etc etc etc.The similarities between these great minds is their hard work, passion and self motivation to learn new things. When advised by his friends to slow down and take life moderately, Avicenna refused, stating that: "I prefer a short life with width to a narrow one with length".  
    
So anyone can be a polymath if you have the will. And history has shown again and again, greatness is at peak when these people were at their young age. By the age of 10, Avicenna knew by heart the whole Qur'an and other available Persian and Arabic literature. By the time he was 16, he had mastered all the sciences of his day and was well-known as a practicing physician. There are other great young people. Salahuddin Al Ayubi, the young men in suratulKahfi, the great Sultan Mahmud al-Fateh, the young people of Egypt who brought down the reign of Hosni Mubarak etc etc etc.

I am writing this at the time when the world is nervously watching London destroyed by the senseless rage of their youth. Watch this and this and you will understand what I mean. Their perspectives are so twisted. They think to get their points across they have to resort to violence. I am still perplexed by what's happening in London. And deeply troubled too. How do they grow up becoming a hooligan?? a monster??

Yesterday, I got summoned by MPSJ for illegal parking. Yeahhh...parking in Monash can be crappy. But I am not whining. I find it easier to park illegally. Serves me right. But what annoys me is the love note that accompanied the summon. In my caffeine deprived state and sheer exhaustion, it took me a while to comprehend the stooopid note. It says;  "HAHA...SUCKS TO BE YOU!!!"
I am assuming it's written by one of the uni students. The "youth". Leader of the next generation. 

What kind of person rejoice in other's mishap? How can u have such a sick sense of humor????? WT&!@#$%??? Go clorox your mindset plssss.....pfffttt!!!      
 
Youth can be destructive or constructive. Oprah thinks you’re never too young to change the world. The kids of her Angel Network are proving that's true. And while writing this post, I am listening to Imam Suhaib Webb and some others discussing on how youth can make a difference in this world by focusing on being good. Being good and making the world good in general and not be obsessed with labeling yourself with religion. e.g there are many Muslim hip hop artists. But they don't really have to tell the whole world  they are Muslim. That is secondary. What is more important is the message they are getting across. Same goes with sport. Hakeem Olajuwon, Mesut Ozil and many2 more. Focus on being the best in whatever field that you choose to pursue.  

Parenting kids, especially teenagers and youth is hard. Especially now.At the age where everything is fast and just "a google click away". It produces a generation with very low patience threshold and think everything has a short cut. The cut & paste, reblog& retweet, tumblr generation. Everything need to be fast. And parents get sucked in into hyper-consumerist mentality and provide the kids more than what kids use to have 10,20 years ago. Much2 more. So the kids never knows how it's like to have less, to appreciate litle2 things in life. And access to media is sooo easy peasy and kids are bombarded with information from everywhere. It can be really confusing to sieve through all the informations and decide right, wrong and normal.

So suddenly, the parent's statement "When I was your age, I....." becomes so irrelevant (and annoying). Things are not the same. I am still learning. I pray I will be guided. And my kids will be guided.

So dude, my dearest Avicenna....happy birthday to u!!!!! 
Just remember with great name, comes great responsibility....ahakssss.....pressureeee....kidding lotss...hahaha....we love you. BTW, I love this poem a lot. U probably do not have much patience to read the whole darn thing, but for goodness sake please read it at least once okayyyyy. READ. Kinda sums up what I want to say to u ;) 

If
Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936)  

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
If you can dream - and not make dreams your master,
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:
If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"
If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
 
      

 

4 comments:

  1. hehe ^__^ baru ku tahu kisah disebalik nama anakmu ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. begitulah ceritanya :) camane puasa? ramadhan kareem to u n family ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salam sister,
    what a coincidence (though I don't believe in one), I too dedicated this favorite poem of mine to my first born. Somehow I have this hunch that we should meet for a cuppa, (promise I don't sell insurance, Monavie or any MLM-thing). I pray to Allah that our paths will cross someday, amin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shila, InsyaAllah we will meet some day ;) tergelak besar I part jual insurance & MLM tu...thanks for clarifying....ahaksssss ;)

    ReplyDelete